Perils of assimilation

If only life came with subtitles.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Wilco

I had almost forgotten how good 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' is. Whispers, cryptic poetry, layered music.

I am an American aquarium drinker
I assassin down the avenue

What does that mean?
Perhaps he is an aquarium drinker because he feels trapped in a glass cage that he can't escape...
or he likes to dip a ladle into the fishtank everyso often.

It's still beautiful.

Cryptic things are intrinsically beautiful, because they cannot be unlocked. If you unlock them, they lose their allure.

Perhaps that's why I am put off by psychology. Why would you want to unlock the human mind and its intricacies? why would you want to lay out who someone is onto paper? Turn humans into definitions?

Not for me, I can assure you. I like not knowing everything about people, I like that people have strange reasons that they can't tell you. Their ambiguity is beautiful.

Beauty is not what's defined by society tells you, it's just something you sense.
Example 1: my dear friend J. is beautiful. She is gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but It's the way she moves that makes her truly beautiful. She's like liquid glass.
Example 2: I look at stains on the sidewalk and I have to stop and stare at them, because they are accidents, and that is their beauty.
Example 3: Henry Milller's prose is beautiful. He speaks of decay and degredation, fucking and puking, dying and loving, and by the end of sentence it has slapped you in the face so hard that you have to recover your breath.
Example 4: walking on a cold night and feeling the ice seep into your blood, watching your breath crystallize. but you just keep going, no shivering.

That is beauty. Don't let the photographs you are bombarded with change the way you sense beauty. What they tell you is beautiful is not always so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home