Perils of assimilation

If only life came with subtitles.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Liz eats Bambi

I regret to say that my first experience eating venison was a good one. I realize that most people from other states assume that we wisconsonites spend all our time hunting and don't even exit our houses in the winter, but that is completly false. Though I am lving in the Northwoods now, the people from my area do not hunt alot. That's not to say that they don't hunt, in fact, hunting is an acceptable excuse to get out of school. But living so close to Milwaukee and Chicago, there isn't much opportunity.

My family is very much against taking more from nature than is nessesary. Nature is not something for human use, it is a living entity. I was taught as a child to refer to all animals as people too (though I was punished for saying that in elementary school). But if there is meat already around, it is a sin to waste the gift of another's life. So, though it hurts me to say it: I ate Bambi.

He tasted good. Sorry, Mama N.

2 Comments:

  • At February 03, 2008 5:11 PM , Blogger Caveman said...

    I totally get where you're coming from on state focused prejudice.

    I live in Maine...

     
  • At February 04, 2008 2:13 AM , Blogger Bardiac said...

    If it's any comfort: the deer overpopulation problem in Wisconsin is HUGE (mostly because we've killed off the major predators). Supposedly, there are WAY more deer now than in pre-columbian times. So, hunting deer actually helps keep them from starving to death in large numbers. And eating what's been hunted is respectful, in a way. At least it's not wasteful.

    At least that's the way my hunting colleagues see it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home