Perils of assimilation

If only life came with subtitles.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Goodbye, SRI

Today was my last show at the station. I love entertaining people, through theatre, and jkes, and Radio antics. I like making sure people are having fun, which I hope I accomplished with my show. Most people tuned in just to hear me go into rants about the state of the world, I know, but that was alright with me. There are a few things that SRI has taught me:
1. The only difference between a DJ and someone yelling at the voices in their head is a microphone.
2. Radio people don't really talk to each other, they just list off band names.
3. Never dress to impress on the days you will be stuck in a soundproof booth for a few hours, it gets uncomfortable.
4. Radio people never call each other by their real name, rather their DJ name.
5. Saying you're a DJ is kinda cool.
6. Radio people don't actually know who else works at the station.
7. Pirating CDs: good. Taking them from the CD closet: bad.

I recieved this e-mail today and I wanted to share it with you:

Dear Liz

I was a DJ at UW-EC back in the days when WUEC was really a student run radio station – long before it went Wisconsin Public Radio / NPR. This goes WAY back – Jack Kapfer was a student and on the staff when I was there… 1979-82. The station was run by the students and played music and other programming done by the students. Was VERY sorry to hear WUEC went NPR / Wisconsin Public Radio. WUEC used to be a great outlet for students to play music.

Glad I found SRI – I listen to it, when I can, at work, in Madison. Good to hear UW-Eau Claire once again has student run radio. As the semester is winding down, thought I would drop a note to let you know it has been wonderful hearing the great variety of music you play. Thanks…

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home