Perils of assimilation

If only life came with subtitles.

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Full Fat Forever!!

So, you know what crazy invention they've got out now? Light Butter. It's butter- but somehow 'light'. It's not like margarine or Can't Believe It's Not Lard, true.

Want to know what the second ingredient is?

WATER.

Holy Crap! I'm picturing a massive grease explosion the minute this shit hits a hot pan. Then comes the list of the things that go into the Modified Food Starch that keeps it shape. Who else is freaked by the phrase "Modified Food Starch"? It doesn't even hint at what it's made from. If it's not corn or soy-- what else is it? Most of the American diet is corn, definitely pick up a copy of the Omnivore's Dilemma.

Frankly, I'm not touching this stuff. My roommate can eat as much as she likes, I'm sticking with my full fat butter. It tastes fantastic, and the ingredient list is only two (or three, depending on the brand) items long. She also drinks skim milk, which tastes like water to me. I prefer whole milk or two percent, and organic. It just tastes better, with your cereal, your coffee, in your baked goods.

Give me a good stout, and keep that Miller Lite far far away. A coffee stout if you've got it. Regular, not decaf.

What are the benefits of replacing the things you really enjoy eating with substitutes that you don't really care for? The Fat fills you up, which makes you eats less, unlike the replacement stuff that leave you hungry for more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home